Sunday, May 9, 2010

Resolution

It's been a long time. Since the last time i've been proud of myself, i mean. That's why i've made a resolution this hols, to stop wasting my time, and start enriching my life. This year, I will still keep my commitment to go to Camp Rainbow, I will make the Hall FOC great, and I will rekindle my interest in books. No more computer games for me, no more idling around the house.

Books i've read so far... Yosl Rakover Talks to God. A short, rambling narrative, seemingly written by a Jew in his last hours in the Warsaw ghetto, the Holocaust. He professes an undying faith in a cruel and bullying God. It gained such a degree of authenticity that people scorned the Jewish author when he said he had written it (and he wasn't even in the Holocaust!)

I believe in the sun, even when it doesn't shine.
I believe in love, even when i don't feel it.
I believe in God, even when He is silent.

- Inscription on the wall of a cellar in Cologne where some Jews remained hidden for the entire duration of the war.

I'm halfway through Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha. Despite the differences in generation culture, technology and lifestyle, some things in childhood will always be common. The playfulness, the cruelty, the overflowing emotions. The ignorance, the kindness, the pure happiness. Our childhood memories haunt us like a shadow, a deep, sinking shadow cast by the light of innocence.

I'm relishing every bit of the book.

And the reason i had three whopping hours to read it was... i'd went in the opposite direction on the MRT. The next thing i knew, when i raised my head it was Bedok. Oh Merde. And i turned around towards Boon Lay. Sigh.

This was after i'd met up with my kid for this year's Camp Rainbow, Samuel. He's quite a mature, conscientious kid. He had this thing that said, "Goals to achieve this year. Social: ... Academic: ... Leadership: ...". At age 12! When i was his age, i was still pulling girls' ponytails or something.

What a change a day makes...

No comments:

Post a Comment