Sunday, April 3, 2011

München

Munich likes me.

Well, that's what its motto says anyway. "München mag Dich" (Munich likes you).

It's been my first couple of days here! Stayed one night at Sonya's, near Giesing, where i enjoyed some grocery shopping with her and enjoyed her cooking for dinner :) We strolled around the city center, and i'm beginning to fall in love with the European architecture. It simply gives an old town rustic feel to the place, like 'an age-old village from Grimm's fairy tales', and yet it is exquisitely modern, sharp, efficient. It's not hard to see why their previous motto was, "Cosmopolitan city with a heart".




The next day i woke up to a FANTABULOUS breakfast all setup by Sonya. And i wish i could have said that i must have woken up at a Bed n Breakfast, but i know no BnB would ever provide such great food. Right, ZY?

Thank you so much for your lovely hospitality, Sonya :)


Having started off with a great breakfast, the rest of the day was a cinch as i rode about getting documents signed and moving into my new hall of residence, or wohnheim. At Heidemannstraße, there's a bar for the students, grocery stores, well you can read it here.

The room itself is pretty much like a standalone apartment, equipped with toilet, kitchen, fridge and furnishings. I would have preferred something more communal though, like a common room or sorts! Well, off i went doorknocking to meet the neighbours. Andddd turns out they were all away for the hols. Bummer.



It felt so cold and lonely the entire time that i couldn't help but get my ass downstairs to explore the grounds. I found my way to the basement, and bumped into YuPeng, a student studying Mech.Eng at TUM. He turned out to be my saviour and friend as he gave me a walkthrough on everything, brought me grocery shopping at a cheaper place and invited me to his neighbour, Marco's bbq party tonight! And it was a blast. Just getting to know person after person, practising my German profusely and exchanging about cultures and lives. Not to mention lots of Helles beer :p It reminded me so badly of our block parties back in Hall XI 54, year one, sigh. I will probably never have as much fun again with as great a bunch of frens... but hey, this isn't so bad either haha.




It is absurdly pure luck that led me to meet Yupeng at the exact time he was going to wash his clothes, and the exact day and place there was a party happening and he was part of it. I am getting a great start to my journey here in München!

Well, Munich, looks like your feelings for me are not unrequited. I like Munich too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment