Saturday, April 2, 2011

Respite

My last two nights in SF and the US, before heading for Munich!

It also turned out to be my most comfortable abode, with luxurious lodgings and two cats to snuggle with :p

Judy and Mike gave me such a warm reception, settling me down so quickly that within minutes, i found myself in the living room, sipping tea with the cat on my lap and talking to their other guests! We had a wonderful dinner, trying out my first artichoke (a delightful gastronomic dish, i might add), and sharing across cultures. The house felt unusually safe, homely and civilized; perhaps i was just too used to roaming about the wilds of Las Vegas in the past week :p

Flo, their other French surfer, was embarking on an amazing biking journey across the States the next morning! I'd definitely want to stay with her the next time i go to France...she's a fun, bubbly person, and her home is rooted at the foot of the French Alps, amidst snowy trees and upcroppings!






As for us, miraculously, Judy and Mike were heading off to Napa Valley in the morning, which was one place i missed out in SF previously! So off we went, through lakes and farms, endlessly stretching vineyards that stood like a multitude of crosses, martyr tombs, buried into the hilly lands. They dropped me off downtown, where i wandered the quaint streets and boulevards.

It turned out they had a stunningly beautiful weekend house buried in the hills of Napa Valley, with a ripe bloom of flowers, olive and lemon trees! They even made their own olive oil, pretty amazing. Picked up some misc gardening, agriculture knowledge from them here and there :p

The rest of the day, at SF's modern art museum, roaming its arty farty halls and getting above my head again. Night time, preparing my 'infamous' couchsurfer's SG dinner :) I think i'm getting better at this haha. Really wished i could spend more quality time with Judy and Mike though... I would think that a day or two is never enough to make the best of the couchsurfing experience.





Sadly, i have reached full circle in my US trip. Starting off from vibrant SF and acclimatising for the first time to the States, then hopping to Pittsburgh to experience a non-touristy city plus exploring the snowy wilderness, and then to Orlando for some pure fun and shopping as well as exploring the other side of the city on my own. Finally, Las Vegas for some amazing couchsurfing experiences amidst the glittering glamour and decadent culture. All in all, a full-bodied, diverse experience that exposed me to a full facet of people and environments, and made me feel i'd got to know this big, beautiful world of ours a little more...Goodbye and farewell, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment