Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fulfilment

What a weekend.

Sat morn till afternoon was spent clearing out the FOC stores, packing them to move to Shan's factory and Nanyang house for storage during this hols. The Logs guys all worked hard and tirelessly to complete the job in double-quick time. Kudos to Franklin, Alan Toh, Avin, Kaiyan and of course Logs Head Alan Phua for burning their Sat for FOC :) And also to my dad, who provided his lorry and driving services for the day! He even had time to help some Filipino family move house in-between our packing, haha. And of course Weichong and Shan, who are the best co-chairs i could ever have. Everyone made it a breezy and successful moving out of hall. We even had a sneak peek at Shan's beautiful house :D

After that, i met Maran and Jingyi at Bugis, where Maran gave us a treat at a fine Indian cuisine restaurant, Riverwalk Tandoor in the Golden Landmark Hotel. I have to say, the buffet fare there - especially the different vegetarian curry dishes - totally blew my mind away. It was fantabulous - scrumptilicious - and i enjoyed every bite. Maran gave us a tour on each gastronomic delight, making it culturally enriching to boot.

Sadly i felt full very quickly, probably due to the high milk and cheese content in the curry and naan. So we left and fooled abit with taking photos in the hotel. It was then that i felt nauseous and ill, and Maran and Jy took care of me through my waves of nausea, till i reached home. Really, really thanks to these great pals, and it was a great pity i couldn't enjoy the food i'd eaten :( I wish my stomach would grow more sturdy.

The next day, after a grueling night, i had to go for Camp Rainbow's welcome tea. My brother touched me by getting up at 7am especially to wake me up. :) Still it took my mum to wake me up again after my snooze before i got up haha. So at Singapore Arts Museum, 8Q street, i had a reunion with all my 'old' friends... Winnie, Ryan, and the kids Yong Zhuo, Samuel, Rachel. I realised that the other kid i'm in charge of, Rui Jie, was the same kid i'd looked after at the Welcome tea two years ago! Haha. Everyone seemed to look the same. And it's been two years already, wow.

I also met some new faces, like the befrienders in my group, Ian, Luke, Felise. I didn't really get to talk to the rest yet. I also bumped into Jewel, as NTU and NUS's accounting clubs are supporting Ernst and Young in this event. EY is a partner of Camp Rainbow. There were many other volunteers from EY there too, like the pretty emcee who was very good, and popular with the kids!

On the whole, the kids had loads more fun inside the Art museum, where they looked at some exhibits and did some activities. The games that Jewel et al facilitated outdoors were ... well, not all that fun. For our group aged 10-13, it wasn't terribly exciting. Most of them were scaled-down versions of ice-breakers. I'd think that concrete, playable things like puzzles would appeal more to the kids. Anyway the place was a tad too cramped and noisy.

But kids are kids, after all, and enjoyed themselves very easily, just playing with their befrienders and with each other. That is the whole point of the event, after all. I'd say that the event was a success :)

Afterwards, i sent Samuel and Rui Jie back home. They click together surprisingly well, despite their differences in personality! Haha. We had a roaring good time playing Hangman on the train. This year's camp bodes to be highly interesting indeed.

Well, i'm bushed for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment