Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My First Couchsurfing Experience

These past few days have been really tiring, what with long hours of exploring, queueing and taking rides in Universal Studio and Disney World! But i feel so much more like i want to talk about my first couchsurfing experience so far, with JoAnne in Orlando, FL.

There can hardly be a person who can make me feel so comfortable as JoAnne, with her friendliness and openness to sharing. She fetched me from the airport, gave me a tour around the neighbourhood, then we shopped for groceries and we made macaroni with chili broth together for dinner :) There's tons of things we talked about (i especially loved her narration of her near-elopement to Woodstock!), and I wish i could talk more with her after my theme park visits end tomorrow!

In the meantime, i had an unforgettable meeting with her two French frens, Izzy and her partner Indy. They were her first couchsurfers a couple of months back, and were sleeping over for a night, in the guest room with me. The interesting thing was that Izzy knew very little English, so i dug out some of my French from aeons ago and introduced myself haha. Afterwards we used facebook to chat, and I'd copy and paste whatever i wanted to say from Google Translate. After awhile, she commented that my French was very good...and then she burst out laughing when i showed her i was using Google :p

Talked with Indy after that, and when i told him i was going to Germany, he shared about it some. It was funny and interesting... later on the lights were turned off and i wished them "Bonne Nuit", while they returned a "Wan3 An1"... then, having suddenly remembered, Izzy whispered "Gute Nacht!"

And we all laughed.

~~~

The next day, JoAnne told me about the amazing love story of Izzy and Indy's relationship. Turns out they were a couple during school days, and then Indy wanted to go to Paris to work. But Izzy refused to move...so they broke up and went their separate ways. Years passed, and Indy worked in various countries, Australia etc, but he just "couldn't stop thinking about her". Eventually, 13 whole years later, he went back to France, reconnected with her...and they've been together since :)

Now that's what i call romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment